The Metropolitan Police: Choose a Different Ending
London teenagers were carrying knives in the mistaken belief that they offered protection. The Metropolitan Police wanted to communicate that the reverse was true. A series of films was created for Youtube using Annotation Technology, enabling viewers to choose what happened next. Carry a knife? Go to a party? Stab an opponent? After experiencing the consequences of their choices, viewers were invited to ‘Choose a Different Ending’. For the film, and their life. 21 films, ten different endings. The response was 78% awareness, the highest ever for a Met campaign, and to date, 2,652,012 views.
Results and Effectiveness:
• 4.6 out of 5 average user rating.
• 2.1% click-through rate on viral video trailers, well above 0.2% industry benchmark for rich media banners.
• Net number of views logged would have required a TV budget 600% the size of our spend.
• Peer-to-peer debate about the videos and knife crime swelled. At peak, more than 80 comments a day were posted, with a total of over 3,000.
• Total views to date, 2,652,012.
• Highest total recall of any Metropolitan Police campaign, ever. 78% among our target.
Advertising Agency: Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, UK