Controversy and advertising

When advertising generate certain controversy, will it help the brand in any way? I don't mean to get cheap publicity nor intending to hurt anyone's sentiments. But controversy in-terms of logical reasoning, ideological differences or regional difference.

9 comments

ivan's picture
ivan

It helps small brands in general because the brand recognition gained outweighs the negative publicity. But for large brands it is not good for the opposite reason. It's simply a number game. If you have 2 customers and you have nothing to lose, even 1 extra customer is a huge gain in percentage. But if you have 100 you may turn a few away with negative publicity.

Ivan Raszl, admin of AotW

manumartin5's picture
manumartin5
1202 pencils

..yes i agree , it really helps in small brand category. . and instant brand recognition.

Martijn's picture
Martijn
1900 pencils

Small brands maybe, but especially luxury and fashion brands like to use the shock factor. Strangely, it are often Italian brands who are the best in it: Benetton, Diesel, Dolce & Gabbana...

KbxAdz's picture
KbxAdz
934 pencils

shock ads rock, bring on the good old days of Pepsi dissing Coke and vice versa

You Are What You Expect

manumartin5's picture
manumartin5
1202 pencils

.. ya very true.! brand competition can also be controversial..

KbxAdz's picture
KbxAdz
934 pencils

brands should fight for us - their customers, rather than just casually unveil campaign after campaign of dull ads, let them rip each other out, what's the harm, they both are sweetened water anyway!

You Are What You Expect

manumartin5's picture
manumartin5
1202 pencils

that means we must create ads which irks the opposite brand.. that is one way to compete and create controversy.! may be it will help in marketing the product.

Jaap Grolleman's picture
Jaap Grolleman
7004 pencils

A controversy might have a possitive message as well, like the whole Wikileaks happening. Or it should be relevant to the brand to be positive too. A 15 year old Brooke Shields comes to mind, who said: "Nothing comes between me and my Calvins." In other words, I'm wearing nothing. Created some buzz in 1980.

And a Dutch clothing store called SuitSupply created some controversy in the Netherlands with their Shameless campaign. Heaps of people felt offended, mostly religious people and woman, but those people don't buy there anyway. Of course they lost some customers with it but they also generated a lot of discussion and attention, they have surely gained some new ones as well, probably more.
http://www.google.nl/images?q=suitsupply%20shameless&rls=com.microsoft...

I think a controversy can work as long as it has some relevancy and doesn't destroy the brand values.

manumartin5's picture
manumartin5
1202 pencils

@ jack: this is a nice information. I never knew of Brooke shields incident. I agree controversy definitely should be helpful in someway or other to my brand, some may backfire, but all is well in the end for brand.