Books

This question is relevant through the whole year I think but specially at Christmas, as I sometimes have a difficult time thinking of what to put on my list. (Yes, I'm spoiled, I know).

I've red Hey Whipple Squeeze This at recommendation of Ivan, and I'm getting myself Freakonomics by Steven D. Levitt and Stephen J. Dubner. I'm also having The Decisive Moment by Henri Cartier-Bresson left to read. What other books would be really useful for this business?

Personally I'd like a book that focusses on the creative process for ads but I'm not sure which one is good. But any recommendation in any field is most welcome.

Thanks in advance!

13 comments

ivan's picture
ivan

Perhaps you may even consider more basic science books that help with groundwork. Sociology, psychology, arts, etc.

Ivan Raszl, admin of AotW

Jaap Grolleman's picture
Jaap Grolleman
7004 pencils

Yeach I could read in those sciences as well but I feel I've still have so much to learn about advertising aswell that I want to focus on that first.

luciacfc's picture
luciacfc
744 pencils

Do you know Spanish? I just finished reading this very interesting and even inspiring book of essays by Eduard Punset but, sadly, it hasn't been translated yet..

Jaap Grolleman's picture
Jaap Grolleman
7004 pencils

Nope, I can't read the Spanish language well enough ;-(

mralanjones's picture
mralanjones
258 pencils

There's a few books that I would highly recommend.

For the creative process
-Cutting Edge Advertising by Jim Aitchison
-The Advertising Concept Book by Pete Barry

For Copywriting
-Can I change your mind? by Lindsay Camp

These books are good but they focus mostly on idea generation geared towards print/TV.

For case studies, focussing on new media/digital/ambient
-This Is Advertising by Eliza Williams
-Hoopla (A Book about CP+B) by Warren Berger

Hope these help.

Jaap Grolleman's picture
Jaap Grolleman
7004 pencils

Thanks ;-) I'll look up some reviews of those books.

JCSaiKrishna's picture
JCSaiKrishna
731 pencils

"The Copy Book" is an another nice copywriting book. It consists stories of 32 authors and the techniques they followed.

http://twitter.com/JCSaiKrishna
I'm excited to know my mistakes!

mralanjones's picture
mralanjones
258 pencils

Yeah that book's awesome, it's pretty old though. My friend has a copy and I'd like one for myself but it's pretty rare and hard to find. If you (or anyone) has a copy to sell let me know. Cheers.

JCSaiKrishna's picture
JCSaiKrishna
731 pencils

My friend have electrionic copy i.e. e-book of the book. Or you can try in e-bay, but he was quoting 200% more than the original cost.

http://twitter.com/JCSaiKrishna
I'm excited to know my mistakes!

AnonymousDave's picture
AnonymousDave
18 pencils

Why not learn to play the guitar and start a metal band that plays the kind of classic, pop-friendly metal that died in the late 80's? You could take your band on tour, abuse copious amounts of illicit substances, sleep with dozens of women of questionable moral fiber and push yourself to the edge of exploding from personal experience. Then write your own book. I would call it "Jack Mancer Writes About Advertising" even though it's about your metal band's infamous Eastern European tour of 2013. You know, just to keep 'em guessing.

Guest's picture

Reading books is a great way to learn and there are quite a lot of books out there now (I would agree with all suggestions and add 'Portfolio Class with Clare' ... maybe too 'beginner' for you, it's really aimed at new students wanting to know the basics but it is clear and helpful. Dave Holloway wrote a book about getting into advertising ... not so much process, but good input). Also, good suggestion to look beyond advertising or at least less-specifically advertising, like 'Make ideas happen' by Scott Belsky. Motivating stuff. For advertising and life. Look at resources online, like Luke Sullivan's blog etc. If you really want to learn about the creative process, however, then a good tip is to look at all the award-winning work you can find and really absorb every detail. Take your time. Compare approaches and insights, what is different, what is great about the media or space used or art direction? Look with a fresh eye. Try to follow how they worked. This is inspiring and also shows it is possible! You are not looking to duplicate what they do, you are looking to duplicate the feeling they create through the work. Most important, however, is that you get busy and make a lot of work yourself (less time on adsoftheworld! :-P) Seriously. The best way to learn is to do. I don't think you get MORE creative in your life, there is no secret ingredient ... through experience, hard work and training you just get better and faster at getting through average and good ideas to only really great work. You get better at making the right decisions. And the only way to do this ... is to do it! Good luck!

Martijn's picture
Martijn
1900 pencils

It's Not How Good You Are, Its How Good You Want to Be: The World's Best Selling Book - Paul Arden
http://www.amazon.com/Its-Not-How-Good-Want/dp/0714843377/ref=sr_1_1?i...

Jaap Grolleman's picture
Jaap Grolleman
7004 pencils

Ah yes I've red that one and even though it was short & most was common sense it was a very interesting book.

Post new comment

Thank you for commenting. Please do not spam, be elaborate, respectful and helpful.