Are Art Directors better than Copywriters?

Are Art Directors better than Copywriters?

11 comments

Jaap Grolleman's picture
Jaap Grolleman
7006 pencils

They both have their own function. There is a small overlap in the functions I think but you're comparing apples with pears.

ivan's picture
ivan

Better in what way? Better kissers or what? :)

Ivan Raszl, admin of AotW

Jaap Grolleman's picture
Jaap Grolleman
7006 pencils

Hehe, didn't look at it in that way.

tophat's picture
tophat
5 pencils

nah ...not kissing :-P
but often it is kind of said that art directors are more important as they make the final, visible product and without them there would be nothing!
Also, you often see art directors working alone ... copywriters not so much, maybe radio ... not campaigns as they can't do the ads up themselves.
We all learn to read + write at school ... so art directors can still get by. Using proper design programs etc. is not something everyone knows.
Also, you see more art directors working with other art directors ... do you get copywriters working with other copywriters?

!

hinduheat's picture
hinduheat
276 pencils

Copywriters don't just make legible copy to get the message across, they often think of the 'idea' and ways in which it can be displayed. The execution of the visual is left to the art-director.

Some pieces are more art direction heavy some pieces are more 'idea'/copy heavy.

You decide what works best where.

This is what I gather about this world so far. :)

Aspiring Copywriter, Improv Enthusiast.

Anonymous Author's picture
Anonymous Author
1541 pencils

Yes and no.

Write a wise saying and your name will live forever – Anonymous.

http://www.anonymousauthor.co.nz
www.twitter.com/@anonauth

MindDrift's picture
MindDrift
1041 pencils

"u often see art directors working alone ... copywriters not so much, maybe radio ... not campaigns as they can't do the ads up themselves"

I disagree. An art director too can't create an ad by himself, he often hires an illustrator or photographer to execute the idea.
You should think of advertising as team work. Sometimes, the emphasis is on the copy, other times on the visual, but every member of the creative team is equally important.

krautland's picture
krautland
3204 pencils

I'm better in every way. no question about it. unless you ask my writer, of course.

Roger Keynes's picture
Roger Keynes
5497 pencils

We tend to team Writers & AD's in Oz.
And both contribute, on both sides.

But if you want to get to the crux...
Ads are about the idea... so, whoever has the idea.

In mosts cases I would suggest the Writer has the idea
and the Art Director completes it visually.

Will Think for Salary

HappyHour's picture
HappyHour
2386 pencils

only on mondays and fridays.

Acooboo's picture
Acooboo
20 pencils

Two crocodiles were flying. One was green, but the other was flying to Africa.

Copywriter and art-director are working on projects from the different points of view. Art director works with the visual part, in time copywriter works with the verbal part of the project. Both are working with idea, according their abilities. So, on the question: "What’s better fork or spoon? Answer – “Of course the knife :).”

More advertising ideas on http://acooboo.com