How to Make it...

Hey Guys,

I have a question about what the best way to make it into advertising is- in particular as a copywriter.

I am currently an Undergrad Student - I will be getting an HBA from a very respected business school in Canada.

After this, I plant to serve in the military for a couple of years.

After my service I would like to go to ad school and after ad school apply to work as a copywriter.

Do you think this is a good route?

The combination between an HBA from a Business School and diploma/degree from an advertising school?

Also, after ad school i will be around 26 - is this too old to get started?

Let me know.
Your help is much appreciated.

1 comment

Emanresu's picture
Emanresu
2150 pencils

First and foremost, it would be appropriate for me to direct you to a blog posted by Ivan, which can be found at: http://adsoftheworld.com/blog/21_suggestions_for_a_successful_advertis...

I myself am not (and have no past experience) working for any big names such as JWT, BBDO, Saatchi & Saatchi, or McCann-Erickson. Therefore, you may take my advise for what it's worth. I would say there is no 'best' or 'right' way to get into advertising. While the founding traits and characteristics of what got many people to where they are might be similar, each person more than likely has their own story to tell.

The decision of schooling will rest on you. Some will say that it is not mandatory and that possibly landing a freelance/internship gig or being in the right place at the right time can get your career started. If you have the finances or other means of support and are more comfortable with receiving instruction from people in the field and looking forward to job placement program then cease the opportunity.

Many are getting their first taste of working in the advertising field at 22 or 24, but that doesn't mean you will be overlooked because of your age. I have been reading the blog of a copywriter who was accepted into Miami Ad School at 29; others have looked into Account Planning and Art Direction while in their late 20s or early 30s. I believe that the ideas you carry in your book and the way you carry yourself will land you a job and not your age [in most cases].

I hope that all goes well during your service as well as your career decisions.