PETA

As everyday consumers of food, energy and timber, we do untold damage to the environment and the animals that live in it. The campaign aims to raise awareness about our seemingly innocuous needs - and the choice we can exercise to minimize our negative impact on the animals. A tribute to the Word Animal Day - with Peta.

PETA
PETA
PETA

8 comments

ivan's picture
ivan

Good way to make me feel guilty. And? What's next?

Ivan Raszl, admin of AotW

Guest's picture

Hi Ivan,

Well, we all begin to mend our ways once we realize the wrong we've done. Here the idea is merely to raise awareness about how we, as a population, have crossed the thin line between need and greed. Since its a spec campaign, the call to action is to join hands with Peta, as it tries to save the plant from ourselves.

foxbc's picture
foxbc
29 pencils

I think anyone who's not part of PETA will be extremely turned off from this ad. Your telling people they're killers. And are you trying to tell me to stop building houses and purchasing wood furnishings, eating fish, and using gas? That's a lot to demand from an audience that is probably more concerned with themselves than animals. And like ivan said, what is your call to action? You just say how those things negatively impact animals and their environment and don't give the audience a suggestion for what to do about it. I like the art direction, though.

Guest's picture

Hi Fox,

The idea here is to understand that we, as the most dominant species on the planet, are INDISCRIMINATELY pushing others to extinction. And as our population grows beyond comfortable levels, we not just encroach very fragile ecosystems, which in turn are connected to every other. So ultimately, life comes a full circle.

There are very few wildernesses left on the planet and we need to take a conscious decision to keep our hands off them. Already, many large corporations are trying to exploit the natural resources of areas in Alaska, Siberia, Antartica, Amazon etc.

The call to action is of course to join hands with PETA.

A stranger abroad's picture
A stranger abroad
427 pencils

Yes, I'm a killer. I'm comfortable with that. And so are my canines and incisors.

I am sure as heck not going to stop eating meat, using wooden furniture or petroleum products, and the suggestion that I should just makes me think you are a pack of loonies.

Guest's picture

Hi Stranger,

Yes, you can eat meat, make wooden furniture and consume petrol. But its not about you. It's about WE. We need to draw a line about WHAT meat are you eating, WHERE is the wood coming from and HOW and WHERE is the gas coming from.

And if you don't have the sensitivity to realize that, well, then this campaign is not for u. We can all do and say as we want, based on what we need. But its the sum total of our actions that's pushing the planet's resources and wildlife to the brink.

A stranger abroad's picture
A stranger abroad
427 pencils

Hi guest,

This campaign makes no such distinctions. What it is saying - as opposed to what you claim it is saying - is that eating meat, using wood, or using petroleum products makes me a killer. It makes no plea to check the source of meat or wood. Or for moderation at all. Quite the opposite, it takes an extreme 'stop consuming' position. Well the only way to do that is to die.

Take an extreme position, get an extreme response. And yes, I get pissed off with comfortable middle-class types calling for OTHER PEOPLE to make sacrifices to save the planet. As a true hero of humanity - Norman Borlaug (look him up) once said "The founder of Greenpeace never went hungry.

I am conversant with the problems the planet faces. I feel the answer is more research, more knowledge, more technology and more science, not soft-brained 'like um-man stop consuming like man. It's like-um bad.' hippy crap.

PS. I do not personally own a car, but I live in a house which has a fair amount of wood in it, and I like steak.

Wanting to house the homeless>demanding more wood>investing more money in better forestry techniques>replanting more trees>developing better trees through genetic engineering>decent housing for people in a sustainable fashion.

And btw, who the hell munches on exotic species anyway? I mostly eat sheep, cows, pigs, chicken and other poultry, none of which are endangered - largely because they are farmed for food. If you want to save the polar bear, develop a market for its meat, then we'll have farms with thousands of the critters in no time.

Guest's picture

I understand the intent to shock but the word killer makes me defensive rather then sympathetic