First Alert Smoke Alarms

First Alert Smoke Alarms are real life savers.

First Alert Smoke Alarms

23 comments

J.G.'s picture
J.G.
58 pencils

Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated. I have thought about turning this into a campaign but not sure if it's possible.

anooprp's picture
anooprp
100 pencils

didnt get the idea. pls elaborate.

Anoop RP - Copywriter

J.G.'s picture
J.G.
58 pencils

It's the Lifesavers candy wrapper with the smoke alarms inside instead of the candy. It's illustrating that the smoke alarms are "lifesavers" in the literal sense because they actually "save lives."

krautland's picture
krautland
3204 pencils

that's borrowed interest and a pun.

you are not saying anything about smoke detectors, you are saying life savers will make your breath smoke or stink or whatever. it's weird, it doesn't make sense, but if something comes out of the lifesaver packaging it's about lifesaver and not the thing that comes out of it.

RAM KATE's picture
RAM KATE
765 pencils

Still not convinced. Smoke alerts are placed where the building is having closed centralized Air Conditioning, In a plane. You have shown candy wrapper which contains smoke detectors, that means you can conveniently pop out a candy and place it anywhere maybe outdoors or next to you while driving. There a more options for Life savings but certainly not this, sorry.

RAM KATE

J.G.'s picture
J.G.
58 pencils

What? I'm not suggesting these are mini smoke alarms that you actually pop out of a candy wrapper. You can't be serious, can you? Ram Kate, you're taking this way to literally.

Guest's picture

I love it, Caught on right away, make the connection!

Pete2's picture
Pete2
714 pencils

J.G. It's a nice idea. But it's not a breakthrough idea. You need a better tag line. 'Save Lives' is too predictable and doesn't relate completely to your visual. Instead, try 'Life Saver". And don't bury it by making it too quiet in the layout. It becomes the idea.

http://peterrabot.blogspot.com/2009/09/second-life-for-mayor-koch.html

J.G.'s picture
J.G.
58 pencils

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Hellas's picture
Hellas
1172 pencils

i don't think you should ever ever ever use another product (lifesaver candy) to advertise yours.....

and the idea is childish

"I don't live in Greece, Greece lives in me..."

A stranger abroad's picture
A stranger abroad
427 pencils

I got it straight away. I think anyone from a country where lifesavers are common sweets would. And obviously vice versa.

I have seen the same idea used for tyres, in Oz I think, and for Dunlop; so probably a Palace ad, but that is going back a good 10 years. It won awards back in the day, so it was a good idea then. It may still be. And in this memory-of-a goldfish business, any idea over 3 years old can be recycled with a fair amount of confidence.

Anyway, as it is unlikely you ever saw the Dunlop ad, nice thought and well done.

J.G.'s picture
J.G.
58 pencils

Hey thanks for the feedback.... I've heard of the tire ad being done before this so I guess I should do my homework first.... does anyone know where I can find the tire ad to have a look at it? Not a big deal, just curious too see it. Thanks.

A stranger abroad's picture
A stranger abroad
427 pencils

Not sure sorry. it was done in the 'old days' (pre internet) so hard to find unless you have access to a pile of old AWARD annuals (Australian Writers and Art Directors). Perhaps an Aussie reader could help? As I recall though, the visual was very similar to yours. But there was no specific line addressing the visual - though it may have used the overall positioning line 'Stick with Dunlop.'

Guest's picture

You should generally avoid wordplay because it's not really clever and in this case cringe-worthy. When writing headlines, try to declare an absolute truth in a compelling way rather than striving for clever plays on words. Good first effort, though.

Proboscis's picture
Proboscis
10 pencils

Not familiar with 'lifesavers' sweets... once I knew that - nice idea.

CC3's picture
CC3
734 pencils

This is a direct lift from a Continental Tire ad from Boone Oakley. Shame, shame.

---------------------
Good is the enemy of great.

maranca82's picture
maranca82
422 pencils

Which was a direct lift from a German Goodyear ad. See link below:

http://www.advertolog.com/tmpbrand/print-outdoor/good-year-194693/

J.G.'s picture
J.G.
58 pencils

C'mon now people I wouldn't be so low as to scoop an idea knowingly and post it on here. Although, now that I've seen the Continental ad I see that they've used a much better headline: "Continental: They're not just tires". I had difficulty thinking of one for this and as you can see I came up short by comparison. Thanks for the link maranca82.

maranca82's picture
maranca82
422 pencils

Hey J.G., not saying you intentionally copied. Just showing the guy who thought you had copied that what he thought to be original work by Boone Oakley was probably not.

John Boone is coming to my school on Friday. Think I should ask him about the German Goodyear ad? Haha.

J.G.'s picture
J.G.
58 pencils

Yeah, no problem man. Thanks for the link. Was just a little surprised at how similar they are.

rebelscum's picture
rebelscum
2114 pencils

First off, grow a thicker skin; this defensive posturing of yours is a weakness.

I didnt know about the BO stuff for Goodyear, but now that I do I have the same criticism of it: Borrowed Equity. There is absolutely positively a much better way to illustrate the fact that tires save lives beyond comparing them to another product that happens to share the same language that appeared on the brief.

Keep diging for sure. You'll find it. But this ain't it.

I have thousands of pencils and $1.50 so I'm off to Starbucks

J.G.'s picture
J.G.
58 pencils

Thanks for the feedback. I sincerely appreciate it. In the future, however, please stick to judging the work. BTW - had a look at your website. Nice work man.

Guest's picture

I think everyone knows smoke alarms save lives but why first alert?

Post new comment

We highly appreciate your comments. When commenting please acknowledge the following guidelines: Be respectful and helpful. Do not spam or link drop.