The Good, The Bad, The Ugly ?

Hello everyone,

I'm an advertising student in my second year of study and this is my first time posting work onto these forums. There are a lot of people on this board that I aspire to be like within the creative advertising industry, so I'm always striving to challenge myself, learn, and put in the effort to produce something interesting. I'm seeking criticism that will help me learn new ways to approaching ideas, and how to execute these ideas.

So, what's the good, the bad, and the ugly ?

I've got two ads that I've created for a school assignment. A traditional outdoor board, and a non-traditional out of home advertisement.

5 comments

OUTSTANDAGE's picture
OUTSTANDAGE
85 pencils

The first one I'm unclear on. Were watching over you, and your protected. That's what I'm guessing. Anyways it was hard to derive. Could just be my brain and the lack of caffeine I've had today. The 2nd one I don't really dig. I seems like a comedic stretch, which are never natural. That's my two cents.

sah dah tay my dammy. (The best copywriter ever whose name is Pootie Tang)

AdillyWay's picture
AdillyWay
128 pencils

Well the first ad for Aviva insurance was specifically tailored towards their identity theft insurance coverage. The idea behind it, is that the family are fingerprints and Aviva is taking a closer look with the magnifier to ensure that they are protected with security. The second Ad, I was trying to play with the "Drive the wrinkles away" where the cars on the road are literally driving over the jeans (Because the ad is placed on an actual city street) and they look like Tefal steam irons.

JKW's picture
JKW
229 pencils

Keep it simple. If it has to be explained, chances are that it's too complicated and too forced. If the target audience has to make too many connections your initial idea/benefit/usp will go missing.

Your first ad conveys the idea of "we're watching over you" but the creative leap is too long -the family is portrayed as a fingerprint, which can be seen through a magnifying glass representing Aviva -it raises more questions than answers. It doesn't tell me what Aviva is -an insurance company, a protection service, a burglar alarm? Why fingerprints, is it a detective service? What is the magnifying glass? How am I protected? Why is Aviva's service better than other similar companies. My advice is to rethink your original idea: My client is an insurance company, the product I'm advertising is insurance coverage in case of identity theft. What happens when someone's identity is stolen? What does Aviva do when this happens? Etc...

The guerilla idea is also too forced -and perhaps too locked down by the pun in your "drive the wrinkles away" line. Cars don't look like streaming irons even if the steaming iron itself has a vague lookalike-connection to cars. Also, ironing is something that evokes a notion of clean clothes. Having cars drive over the jeans gives me an image of dirty, wrinkled clothes -the opposite of what you are trying to say. Again, ask yourself "what does this steaming iron have that others don't? An extra large water capacity? Is is more gentle towards the clothes? Is it easily transportable?

Good luck with your school assignement.

AdillyWay's picture
AdillyWay
128 pencils

"Keep it simple. If it has to be explained, chances are that it's too complicated and too forced. If the target audience has to make too many connections your initial idea/benefit/usp will go missing. " -JKW

One of the problems I'm having right now with my ideas is that, I'm thinking too much about not making the ads literal and obvious, and focusing more on lateral thinking, which sometimes comes out as unclear and would need an explanation.

"Your first ad conveys the idea of "we're watching over you" but the creative leap is too long -the family is portrayed as a fingerprint, which can be seen through a magnifying glass representing Aviva -it raises more questions than answers. It doesn't tell me what Aviva is -an insurance company, a protection service, a burglar alarm? Why fingerprints, is it a detective service? What is the magnifying glass? How am I protected? Why is Aviva's service better than other similar companies. My advice is to rethink your original idea: My client is an insurance company, the product I'm advertising is insurance coverage in case of identity theft. What happens when someone's identity is stolen? What does Aviva do when this happens? Etc..." -JKW

You're totally right about the creative leap, I see how a magnifying glass and fingerprint wouldn't connect to identity theft. I've got to better illustrate the client's products/services in a clear way, but still leave something to the audience's imagination where they can piece the ad together without trouble.

"I really like the first one (clear, fast message, easy to understand at a glance), but the second one seems a little bit too busy.

One method I like to use in testing advertisements is the "blur technique" (not the actual name). Basically, if you blur your image/website/etc, does the call to action still stand out?

Perhaps using different colors or a fake street could make the iron, pants, and message stand out more quickly." -FritzDappling

Thanks for your feedback! "Blur technique" That's an interesting way to go about testing ads, I'll definitely keep that in mind going forward.

Thank you all for your criticism, I really appreciate it and I've taken a lot from this. I'll be sure to heed your advice for my next posting :)

OUTSTANDAGE's picture
OUTSTANDAGE
85 pencils

Hey Adilly there are some spammers that have posted on this thread. Read this http://adsoftheworld.com/forum/161446

sah dah tay my dammy. (The best copywriter ever whose name is Pootie Tang)

Post new comment

Thank you for commenting. Please do not spam, be elaborate, respectful and helpful.