My work: Discussion on rape by a news media.

When a rape incident creates a lot of noise in the media, we do a candle march, but hardly do anything to stop it. It is observed in India that a lot of rape happened because people simply ignore the calls of the victims. So media has started to conduct many open to all discussions about the subject in the mean of public awareness.

Brief: Rape is basically a long practiced act of domination over someone in a physical way [The effects on the victims are both physical and mental]. The convicts treat the victims as some retards do to their pets. Animals can't raise their voice but some people who were treated like an animal comes forward from time to time. We only raise our voice for the surfaced story of the rape victims which is just the chunk of ice seen over the water. As soon as those victims get some sympathy or the convicts get into jail, we forget everything. So it continues in front of us, behind us. We often see people getting a stroll with their pets, nothing abnormal. But again we heard of some twisted incidents of man and his goat, ain't we?

Target: Young generation [College students] & adults.

Print media | Internet.

Better resolution: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B94zZ-89iseoQUZyb1BSaGVtd0E/edit?usp=s...

My work: Discussion on rape by a news media.

8 comments

bardhanjoy's picture
bardhanjoy
176 pencils

Please comment on my post and provide your valuable feedback. With your help I will be able to polish my works.

Joydeep Bardhan

certaintly's picture
certaintly
4056 pencils

sorry man, the copy is really bad.
english is likely not your first language, so you should find yourself a good translator. a native speaker.

first work that out, then repost for better feedback

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8429 pencils

I agree with Certaintly. The copy is really weird. It sounds like rape isn't really serious. That's probably not what you wanted to say, but the use of the word "fuss" will just do that. And what does rape has to do with the "robbery of personal belongings"? Also, the claim that "just listening to it will solve the issue" is just wishful thinking and to be honest utter bullshit. It feels like you really don't know what you're talking about.

And seriously, linking rape with a man and his goat? I like a good side of WTF in an ad, but certainly not one about rape. This is just down right creepy.

Let go of the PSA, especially on a subject that you don't seem to have a grasp on and focus on a real product.

Good luck!

No one cares about child labor, eye donation or saving the Earth: NO PSA!!! http://adsoftheworld.com/forum/135094

shanuea's picture
shanuea
783 pencils

The word RAPE combined with a creepy looking dude squatting besides a goat lying on the grass with a large rock hiding both of their lower bodies is perhaps sending the wrong message to what you're trying to say.

PSA rant: Sorry OP, not directing all this at you - just PSA creators in general:

If you MUST do a PSA advert - think of something that you have either had personal experience with, or someone you know has - PSA ads are about INFORMING people about an issue and offering a clearcut way they can help.

If you know little about an issue, either pick an issue that has affected you personally, or speak to victims who can better inform you of it.

Even if you're a great designer, as far as PSA's are concerned, if you don't know what you're talking about it will show. You're not selling toothpaste - you're attempting to get people to empathise with victims of a particular issue.

If you try a PSA for a particular issue and come across as an ignorant, corporate don't give-a-shit about the issue to research it further or gain any kind of understanding of what people should be doing to help but want to try and show off my design skills then you may upset a lot of people who were affected by the issue in the first place and have to now see some d-wad use it as a self promotion tool.

Point is - The originality specifics of PSA adverts can be read about in Shawali's signature - but there's also ethical and moral responsibilities whenever someone has a go at making a PSA to promote their firm or themselves.

You are far better off choosing a generic product to practice your advertising skills with.

bardhanjoy's picture
bardhanjoy
176 pencils

Thank you certainly, shawali and shanuea. I'll rework on that and Shanuea, I'll remember everything you said before jumping to do another PSA.
One thing I must clarify. Though the message is misdirected due to the bad copy but I never intended to make the issue look silly.
Saying that because rape is currently an alarming issue in India and if I made anything less serious, it's just my lack of skill.

Shawali: It's observed in India that most of the people simply ignore the call of the rape victim [as it is not taking place...ya, it's a kind of epidemic I feel] during the rape but when it becomes a story, many joins into the candle march. Then comes the government when the issue is really out of the hand and does something "sympathetic" to make things "in order" again. The issue and the agony of the victim go under the ashes in the 100% cases! So I planned to use the word, "fuss".
In the case of "robbery of personal belongings" I meant victim's body and mind.
I said " just listening to it will solve the issue" to mock the sensitivity [ignorant insensitivity should I say] people show with their so called protests.
And I linked the rape with a man and his goat because convicts treat the victims as some retards do to their pets and the outer image looks so deceiving. Be that a member of family [75% and above], relatives, teacher, friend, known-unknown person; convict hides their true image behind and in time fulfill their motives and it looks like nothing happened. I personally know 3 of the victims who are yet to celebrate their 16th birthday.
********Bad work is bad work and weak execution is weak execution | I completely got your points & will act accordingly | Please tell me how I should do further research and if possible please guide me how I can put it together to make a good ad | and no PSA :)

Joydeep Bardhan

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8429 pencils

Like I said, i get that it wasn't what you were trying to say. You tried to be sarcastic, but it really didn't come over as such, on the contrary.

To follow Shaun's brilliant points, I'll add that if you really MUST do a PSA ad, because it's a school assignment or it's a paying client, forget about doing just a one shot press ad. The industry is way ahead of you. If you can't come up with a full fledged 360° integrated online bla bla bla type of campaign, then there's no use doing one in the first place.

Nevertheless, it all comes down to why do people create spec ad campaigns? Are you doing it to showcase your creative skills and your ability to come up with a potent creative solution for a given brief? Or do you just want to spread a heart-felt message about some more or less serious issue? If it's the latter, this isn't really the purpose of this forum. You can go ahead with it, print your posters and paste them in the streets. Because in that's case, what counts isn't creativity, it's the message. So good or bad, you go for it.

The vast majority of the ads published daily concerns day-to-day consumer goods and services. To be blunt, it's about making money. PSA don't make a profit. Come up with a campaign (not a one shot, a campaign) for say, plastic gloves or sponges or a car, and you'll have more chances to impress someone. Creative directors, at least the good ones, are likely to throw away any book with a lame PSA in them.

Good luck!

No one cares about child labor, eye donation or saving the Earth: NO PSA!!! http://adsoftheworld.com/forum/135094

bardhanjoy's picture
bardhanjoy
176 pencils

Thanks Shawali, I'll remember that.

Joydeep Bardhan

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1391 pencils

I don't think I've ever seen a good rape PSA on this site, or anywhere for that matter. And certainly nothing that would constitute a call to action to get people to stop raping. Just because the "product" carries emotional weight doesn't make it a good product for an ad. I think what most people take away from ads like these is "Rape is bad," which, frankly, everyone knew beforehand. Also, as others have stated, the connection here is so vague that people won't even know what to do with it.