CON-VERSE

Its an old saying that you an tell a lot about someone personality by the kind of shoe he wears or the way someone dresses up.
The first image revolves around the shoe vs personality.The word converse has been broken down to CON-VERSE,putting emphasis on the word CON(meaning fraud, a swindle) and questioning (or rather pointing the nature of) the reliability of the person wearing them. other modified elements are as follows - CON-VERSE (CONVERSE), ALI STAR (ALLSTAR) and CHUCK JAILOR. I guess the current image, being a little low res, is not able to make that clear to the audience
More images to be added later on.
Respect Original.Buy Original(by original i mean everything/anything as long as its not an cheap imitation of some other brand)
Concept and Illustration - Rohit Hora

CON-VERSE

40 comments

stephen.sandian@gmail.com's picture
stephen.sandian...
25 pencils

Converse is trying to stop piracy?

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

omg..i am sorry i forgot to replace that pic.it didnt refresh.

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1383 pencils

See, I liked the original better. The execution might not have been right, but the idea was totally spot-on. Converse might have the most copied shoe design on the face of the earth. So you really can play off a strategy that involves your company being the original. You can also play off of the fact that the style hasn't changed in about 30 years. I have a baby shoe that's an All Star. Compared to other shoe companies, you really have a lot of unique traits of your brand to work with. Push the strategy further and see what you can come up with.

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Thanks for taking time and putting the review.

citizenzen's picture
citizenzen
20 pencils

The problem is that I don't know what this person is saying about themselves. If the only thing they're saying is, "I wear Con-verse ... well ... that's not enough."

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

I tried to put emphasis on the word ''CON'' (Of, relating to, or involving a swindle or fraud : example con artist).The sneaker in the visual is a cheap imitation of the original brand.
.Judging people by shoes-Fake shoe-The word CON. I hope you can see the concept now but i feel that if i have to explain it then its not done.:)

citizenzen's picture
citizenzen
20 pencils

Sometimes a shoe is just a shoe. People have to wear something.

But again, thank you for sharing.

At least you're bringing something to the table.

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

your comments motivates me(no pun). keep'em coming.

stephen.sandian...
25 pencils

Is this idea campaignable.

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

yes it is.

Dewdrop's picture
Dewdrop
60 pencils

Its very clean and clever.I can give you that but i would also like to see a campaign out of it.
Different brands may be.

stephen.sandian...
25 pencils

Think about it this way (just a thought). Converse is copied a lot, everyone from punk rockers to hip hop heads love the shoes, and it doesn't look right when it's too clean and new. You have to dirty it up a little bit. Do you know what I mean?

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Converse looks good with little dirt on them and that's kind of usp of the product for me but I just wanted a clean look because my whole campaign has this bold colors and clean straight forward immediate in notice kind of look.

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8393 pencils

Unfortunately, this here ad is based on a pun. And puns are the cheapest way to sell something. Stay away from it.

But good idea for a campaign, though.

No one cares about child labor, eye donation or saving the Earth: NO PSA!!! http://adsoftheworld.com/forum/135094

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Well the use of the word unfortunately to describe the work is a bit exaggeration. Some of the best ads and campaign are build around pun for ex. Toyota: “The Car in Front is a Toyota” Toyota came with this slogan as a sticker on the rear window which is considered as a brilliant situational advertising or what about “Absolut ______” append a word to the brand name. “Absolut magic.” “Absolut chaos” “Absolut spring”. In this way, they can associate their brand name with absolutely anything making it one of the most successful — and simplest — marketing campaigns of all time. Absolut genius. (content courtsey google). Puns are not the cheapest way you just have to be careful about'em.Sometimes wordplay is subtle. Sometimes it’s not. The pun, that most maligned staple of Englsh language humour, can be both.
And my whole campaign is based on nothing but pun and i guarantee that they will put a smile on your face.:) and as MACKLEMORE said ''One man's trash, that's another man's come-up''if you know what i mean.
cheers

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8393 pencils

Well I think you don't really get what puns are. None of the examples you gave are puns.

Anyway, please do post the whole campaign, we'll be happy to give you pointers on what works and what don't.

No one cares about child labor, eye donation or saving the Earth: NO PSA!!! http://adsoftheworld.com/forum/135094

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Shawali i am going to share what my teacher once told me. its really a food for thought - If something doesn't work for you then rather speaking on behalf of billions of people just say ''I personally don't get it''
Because there will always be a majority of people who will get the idea in the exact raw form it was originally presented.no alterations required.
You seem pretty confident in your knowledge of what will work and what not.Well good for you.
On a very unrelated topic can i see your portfolio. I could definitely use some pointers by looking at how pro guys do it.Please it would be an honor.

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8393 pencils

I totally agree with your professor. But in this very instance, my stand about puns isn't a personal opinion. It's a fact. It's one of the golden rules of good spec advertising : no puns. If your school tells you any puns are ok, find another school.

Not that a pun can never work. Some do. (this one kinda does: http://tinyurl.com/dyjwodh) But 99% don't. That's why as a student, you're better off standing away from them. A bit like PSA, in fact.

Just a few example to back up my claim :

http://dognpony.wordpress.com/2009/07/20/all-puns-are-bad-puns/

http://copyranter.blogspot.fr/2007/05/every-time-someone-makes-bad-pun...

Now back at your converse ad. The pun isn't good. In fact it's really bad, because it's a weak one and all your strategy seemed to be based on it. Moreover, it's totally not clear that it's about counterfeited shoes. All that people will see is a generic expression and a Chuck Taylor and they will think it's very plain Converse ad. That's personally what I thought at first.

If you want to do a campaign about fake shoes, show examples of how buying them really sucks. There should be plenty of funny ways to do that. Like you would show the benefits of a real product, show the drawbacks of fake one.

I can feel you really got the knack for advertising, I'm sure you can do something better than this.

Good luck!

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Did your school told you to stay away from puns...what a biased thing to say. and are they the one which told you to stay away from PSA also as you advertise in your signature.

I am sad because most people suffer from what i like to call domino psychology. Some top-shit-random blogger says HEy! thts cool and and hey thts lame and people just start following the trend like a brain washed sheep.

Most times people tend to stay anchored to previously formed opinions and fail to adapt their views to changing situations.Damn these bloggers.:)

Is pun really bad or its just the idea of pun being bad is so deeply implanted inside us that we are not able to enjoy it.Like for example someone recently posted ''it really sucks'' punch based adv in the forum. for a vacuum cleaner. It cracked me up because its simple silly and hilarious.
I enjoyed it

Posting these blogs links describing ''pun is bad'' will never make me hate puns.I adore them. You are trying to justify why other people think we should hate puns..my question is

DO YOU PERSONALLY HATE THEM FROM THE CORE?..really..why:)...ahh forget it.I dont care but i do respect your choice and will not bother you with world class pun based ads links.

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Justin Turco's picture
Justin Turco
178 pencils

Puns are bad. It's not one person's opinion.

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

sure .whatever.

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8393 pencils

I didn't learn that puns are bad because I was told so in art school or because I just read a couple of blogs. I learned it through years of experience, browsing though thousands of ads and through mistakes that I once did and eventually acknowledged, which helped me to become a better creative.

For some reason, mostly lack of practical experience, you seem unable to do that. If you are convinced that puns are just great and if this vacuum cleaner ad made really you laugh, then boy ô boy, there's nothing I can do for you. A few months of internship in some decent agency will show you the error of your ways.

Now, I really don't like your condescending tone. I've tried to be polite and fair in my assessment of your work. Like I always do with any student who posts his work on this forum. But you just keep being obnoxious. Clearly, you couldn't care less about what more experienced people than you have to say about your ads. There is no talking sense into you. And these bloggers you foolishly dismiss as mere conservative assholes have been in the business for decades, probably won awards and certainly know a thing or two about advertising.

Now I have said what needed to be said. Take it or leave it, it's your problem. I won't add anything more.

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Shawali with your first comment you made it perfectly clear that you dont like pun based advertising and one cannot expect more from someone who claims to know the industry but Toyota: “The Car in Front is a Toyota” adv. doent makes any sense to him.
You are more experienced than me?..hmmm since when did we compared.You are nothing but a brain washed sheep:)

P.S - I AM STILL WAITING FOR YOUR PORTFOLIO LINK. or ATLEAST USE A REAL NAME OR PICTURE. stop trolling me.

mattndan's picture
mattndan
953 pencils

You might like puns.

Other people might hate puns.

Sometimes they might work.

Sometimes they might not.

All of this is basically irrelevant, because the reason why puns are generally looked down upon is because they are easy to come up with. You don't have to be creative to write a pun.

If you're one of the hundreds of people who think they are creative enough to work in advertising, then you have to prove you're capable of thinking and working harder than just creating puns.

Therefore if you go to see a creative director with work that is full of puns, you're going to look like you took the easy option. That you don't like to work hard to do something that's never been done before.

It's your choice, but if you want to write puns I suspect you'll never work anywhere groundbreaking. Feel free to prove me wrong.

:-)

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Dear Mattndan i just created and posted one work with a little pun and you became confident enough to judge my entire career path on it.Now that's some insight man. pretty deep one.

One visual man that's all you saw and wrote ''Therefore if you go to see a creative director with work that is full of puns, you're going to look like you took the easy option'' .

I don't know how you got the impression that my portfolio would be full of same kind of work.

certaintly's picture
certaintly
4060 pencils

sorry rohithora, but advertising conventions in this current time are indeed that one should stay away from puns, UNLESS IT'S AN AMAZING PUN.

that being said, it may simply be a convention of the time and not necessarily an inherently bad trick. But as it stands, at this time, puns are indeed "bad".

in my opinion, i would agree. the majority of puns come off as easy 1-off jokes that anyone could come up with. So unless it's a really well-thought out pun with different levels of meaning, i would avoid them. in this case, my opinion is that you took the word CON in converse and ran with it.

Also, your ad doesnt make sense without the explanation. And with the explanation it has no impact. Con is in Converse. Ok. boring. so what? what happens now? what does that even mean exactly? there are so many different possible interpretations.

Having said that, someone mentioned the fact that converse has the most copied shoe design. Now THAT is a good insight to run with. delve into it more.

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

I would have taken this comment seriously but i have seen your ''English Classes'' adv post. I do not take advice from people who have such a GREAT PORTFOLIO (now thts a pun to remember).

certaintly's picture
certaintly
4060 pencils

you clearly dont know what a pun is.

what's wrong with my english classes ad?

also, i never said i had a great portfolio.. where did you deduce that? have you seen my portfolio?

ivan's picture
ivan

I deleted some personal attacks. Please respect each other even if you disagree.

Ivan Raszl, admin of AotW

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Sure Ivan.

Nyu001's picture
Nyu001
8 pencils

Ignoring the pun part. I think the real problem with this advertisement is that it is not clear what you want it to communicate, that is the main issue here. If that is a problem the ad is not working. People does not spend a long time looking at ads, they do not care about them, not even the ones that love the product tend to look deep. You need to think of a way that is easier to understand visually by giving a hint that stand out from the rest of the image. The use of the hyphen in “Con-verse” does not stand out and people won’t notice it. It does not make a difference.

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Thanks for the feedback. Nyu001 the modified elements are as follows - CON-VERSE (CONVERSE), ALI STAR (ALLSTAR) and CHUCK JAILOR. I guess the current image, being a little low res, is not able to make that clear to the audience.

certaintly's picture
certaintly
4060 pencils

if you really wanna stick to this (which i highly recommend you dont), just crop the image. focus just on the brand tag. you dont need to show the actual shoe

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

cool. thanks

Nyu001's picture
Nyu001
8 pencils

That does not really help to make it stand out. I have used converses before and I did not notice those things if I did not read your comment about it. If people find that there is something different in that shoe by your message, they will wonder what is different here? Will they be able to spot all those words really have an alteration from the original shoes? I failed at that. People tend to read things straight away, they don't go letter by letter in most cases, unless something really stood out as different, by shape, color, size, etc. that can be able to break the homogeneity.

Try to find a way that actually make the person consider why they should buy an original shoe instead of a fake one. Bring a difference that communicate values, uniqueness, quality, etc.

"You can tell a lot about a person by his shoes"

What can you tell of someone that use original shoes than from one that use fake shoes? What is different from both person? Why would this copy writing make me consider the original shoes? Those questions maybe can help you to consider other alternatives to develop your idea and how you can execute it to communicate clearly.

Otherwise, "alot" is written separate: a lot.

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Most of the people, and not just hard core converse fan, are familiar with the original logo and what it reads Chuck Taylor-All Star- Thts a classic, man..But If you have not noticed it then may be its just you.

dearturki's picture
dearturki
311 pencils

seems an interesting topic, a pun can be used when you present a piece of work and your boss shoot it down, and later on - few weeks may be, your boss will share with you an example which could be somehow close to that he shot down few weeks back, now your turn to link indirectly your boss's example with the one that has been shot down by him. i think this what a pun is.

dearturki's picture
dearturki
311 pencils

Just zoom in on the logo and have a seal effect around it. may be in one color, or a zoom in shot of a foot with converse logo effect on it - AS ORIGINAL AS YOUR FEET ;)

RohitHora's picture
RohitHora
126 pencils

Please make it and post it..you have my permissions to carry forward the idea in your style.

Post new comment

Thank you for commenting. Please do not spam, be elaborate, respectful and helpful.