Cruise America RV Rentals

Cruise America RV Rentals

9 comments

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1377 pencils

Hrmm, I get what you're going for here. I think there's an idea in there somewhere, but I don't know if this is the execution. I was going to do ads for Winnebago a while back, and I was trying to figure out what the real benefit was. And IMHO it's not so much that you can grill or shower or whatever, it's more about how the trip itself is part of the vacation. But I guess you really have to decide who your competition is here. If you're targeting people who are going to be driving across the country anyway in a car or van, this execution might work. A sort of "Take your stuff with you" approach. I do think you're missing the real magic of what it's like to road trip though. Also, I'd tie in family more, just because it's about the shared experience. A single dude isn't going to rent a RV just for himself.

I'd go serious over satire for these. I think you're selling me an experience with my loved ones, not so much being able to grill where I sleep.

mike11's picture
mike11
268 pencils

I totally get your angle regarding the family experience and ideally the layout would include the whole family. The second one in the campaign as I sketched it out has the whole family (or at least dad & the boys) cooking hot dogs around a campfire in a hotel room. I dunno, this layout ended up gravitating toward just dad and the grill for a number of reasons–one of them being it's student work and I have no budget for a photo shoot. That is the feeling I was going for, though, with the campaign–that the best memories of a road trip are moments with the family–grilling, sitting around the campfire, etc. The target is people who drive long distances on family vacations to save money, but stay in hotels.

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1377 pencils

Well there are a lot of different angles you can go with here. I'm going to dig around my notebooks for what I was going for. Probably just a really neat visual of the family interacting with nature through the RV and some copy. I think one of my lines was "If you think it drives great, just wait till you see it park," which is sort of pseudo self-deprecating. Maybe "Drives great, parks even better." Might make an "eating out" joke for the grill. Who knows. OR you could go a whole theme of "Parking Cross Country." Well, this is getting stupid fast, I'll shut up now.

Last thing: if you have the choice of going pro-RV or anti-hotel, go pro-RV. Positive trumps negative almost universally, and really gives your brand more of a position and identity that it can stand on.

Hellas's picture
Hellas
1172 pencils

Grilling itself is not the selling point of renting an RV, focus on mobility. Show a guy (or a family, as jt suggested) grilling steaks in Texas, and fish in Alaska (or whichever state is known for fish). Pick different foods from different states and show the RV there, grilling local food-turn it into a campaign.

"I don't live in Greece, Greece lives in me..."

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1377 pencils

I don't think the focus should be on food, but I like the idea. Maybe that could be a campaign for a portable grill or something. You could like, slap stickers on your charcoal bag or utensils for all the places you visit. :O Or the grill itself, but that shit would probably burn off.

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8390 pencils

About this ad, I'm not a fan, the "flat/RV comparaison" is too first idea for me.

Guys, would you be up for a second try at Collaborative Workshop about RV rental?

No one cares about child labor, eye donation or saving the Earth: NO PSA!!! http://adsoftheworld.com/forum/135094

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1377 pencils

Why, because I already did all of the concepting? xD I'm up for whatever, but it's pretty low-priority for everyone, so unless you really coordinate it well and put the fire under people's asses, it'll probably flop again.

shanuea's picture
shanuea
787 pencils

Speak for yourself - I was all over the crest brief ;)

If there was a couple of check-in stages along the way - i.e. upload your concept roughs after one week for feedback, it might help people commit to completing the project.

On a side note - I'm thinking of comping up a concept. If any art peoples want to collaborate let me know (I can do art, but am incredibly slow at it) - the beginnings of the idea are here:
http://adsoftheworld.com/forum/146088#comment-647443

shanuea's picture
shanuea
787 pencils

Oops, didn't comment on the ad.
It's a bit of a reach between the product and the image. The mind has to work too hard to make the connections. You don't think of RVs immediately from BBQs. Bit too far removed.

Post new comment

Thank you for commenting. Please do not spam, be elaborate, respectful and helpful.