Advertisment for national rail (UK) - 3rd advert.

Hey everybody,

I've started reading the "Hey Whipple Squeeze This" book, but in all honesty this advert below has not implemented anything from the book yet as I haven't read far enough in! It's just a little idea that popped into my head and I thought, hey! why not make it a bit more real.

Thank you, Much Love.

Mango_

http://s23.postimage.org/gez7jgeyz/advertisment_2.jpg

Advertisment for national rail (UK) - 3rd advert.

5 comments

shanuea's picture
shanuea
781 pencils

It's kind of a nice thought, with a nostalgic image. I'm not sure if it suits the product/client but I do like the concept - though it's not quite there yet.

Mango_'s picture
Mango_
14 pencils

thanks for the feedback shanuea, ill be taking that all on-board. I do agree that its still a WIP :]

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1375 pencils

Ok, what is the concept here? The first part of the image is that I can have nostalgia from riding a train. The tag, however, tells me that it'll get me places faster. Getting somewhere faster isn't really the point of taking the train. So focus on why it's better to take the train than, say, to fly or drive across the country. It may take you LONGER by train, but the reward is being able to relax and not have to think, knowing that trains are safer, getting your meals and having a room without having to book hotels and find restaurants. Taking a train across the country is almost a vacation within itself, which is the direction you should go in with these ads. A sort of "Take a vacation to your vacation" approach. That's how I'd do it, anyhow. Also, what I think Shanuea was getting at is you don't necessarily want to call your mode of transport old or outdated. To a certain extent you are selling an older technology, and can play off of how simple and enjoyable it is, but when you're company's blowing millions to stay current and make their technologies better, you don't want to go too far in that direction. Esp. for cross-country rides which are supposed to pamper you.

Mango_'s picture
Mango_
14 pencils

Hey jteslik thanks for the reply. I agree with some aspects of what you are saying but disagree on others. For me the adveristment is meant to show the fact that a train saves you time to get somewhere. Much faster than walking to that destination. I see where your going with the luxury aspect of a cross country train journey but I feel that the current advert would have to be scrapped completely to convey that message.

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1375 pencils

So scrap it :P lol. You'll be forced to scrap ideas all the time. You can still keep elements that you like or save it for later use, and you'll almost always end up with something better down the road. Don't be afraid to start over; you'll have to do it a lot in the future.

The reason this doesn't work is because if it's really too far for me to walk, I'm going to take the train anyway. You're not really selling anyone on the point because everyone who needs to take the train already does. It's not like "Oh, I forgot I could take the train, why am I walking all over?" So, what you're really selling is trains vs cars/airplanes/other public transit. I just assumed airplanes because it's probably easier to get people to switch for long trips than it is to get them to stop driving to work or taking a bus. If you live near a big city, you're probably using public transit anyway.

Post new comment

We highly appreciate your comments. When commenting please acknowledge the following guidelines: Be respectful and helpful. Do not spam or link drop.