SPEC AD WORKSHOP #1 : the Crest Brief

Here is the brief for our first spec ad workshop, thanks to JTeslik:

The objective is to sell more Crest.
The target market is men and women ages 25-35 who fail to brush regularly (or who brush regularly but with someone else's brand).
Our product is currently viewed as a parity product (i.e. - Identical to the competition). People buy the same type over and over again, out of force of habit. Generally only one member of the household purchases it. We do, however, have the advantage of being a big brand name, up there with Colgate.
Our competition is viewed in the same way. People do not care about which toothpaste they use because they can't see a difference, although they may switch types based on whitening, tartar control, etc.
The consumer insight is: ??? Who knows. It could be that people forget to brush their teeth, and Crest is the best toothpaste for people who are lazy about brushing their teeth. This could be anything we want it to be.
The evidence is: ??? Based on the example above, the evidence is that Crest's tartar control can last for up to 24 hours, so it's not so bad if you forget to brush.
The tone of the advertising is fun and playful (or not, depending on the insight).

--------------------------------------------

The creative teams are as follows :

- Gr8/Shanuea

- Certaintly/Nainaa

- WireDino/Diabili

- JTeslik/Shawali

This is still open and anyone else can join. Tell me if I forgot someone

The time frame : starting today, Jan 13, deadline is the Feb 10. This is not really a contest, so anything posted after the 10th won't be snubbed =)

When you think you're done, create a post in the Exhibition forum with the title typed as such : SAW #1 Crest - AD name/CW name.

Comment in the section below if you have any question or remark.

Good luck and have fun!

Shawali

24 comments

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1383 pencils

Lol I like how you picked up the sample brief and ran with it. I think it's terrible but maybe that'll force everyone to be more creative with it.

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8395 pencils

We are creative. We're not supposed to write briefs, so it's as good as it gets =)

No one cares about child labor, eye donation or saving the Earth: NO PSA!!! http://adsoftheworld.com/forum/135094

dearturki's picture
dearturki
311 pencils

will work alone on it, don't like partners!! with all respect to all the CWs here.

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1383 pencils

Lol. Well that kind of defeats the purpose of the exercise, but ok. You understand you'll have to work with people eventually, right? xD Plus it's nice to get to know people on here :P

shanuea's picture
shanuea
781 pencils

The "consumer insight /evidence is" section: Are we supposed to just make up this part ourselves?

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1383 pencils

I'd imagine you could use your own if you want. You generally write your own briefs for spec ads anyway, so if you have an idea, run with it. Just make sure that your ads are based in strategy and stick to the brief that you create. Constraint breeds creativity :]

shanuea's picture
shanuea
781 pencils

nm

trendykarn's picture
trendykarn
39 pencils

As a student, can I join too...?

shanuea's picture
shanuea
781 pencils

Sure can.

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8395 pencils

Ok guys, does anyone has come up with something yet?

I think I know the answer, unfortunately =)

No one cares about child labor, eye donation or saving the Earth: NO PSA!!! http://adsoftheworld.com/forum/135094

shanuea's picture
shanuea
781 pencils

I'd say Gr8 and me are pretty much finished, or not far off. How's the Shawali/Jteslik team?

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1383 pencils

Haven't even looked at it yet. Been too busy with work and my other spec ads. Gonna apply to DraftFCB soon :D Hopefully they don't rip my work apart. Haha.

shanuea's picture
shanuea
781 pencils

What?????????

You lazy bastards! ;-)

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1383 pencils

Lol. You and Gr8 are dragging this clusterflop of a workshop along nicely. Just throw your pitch out there already xD

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8395 pencils

Some of us have real life jobs, we don't spend all day long on AotW!! =)

JT, feel free to shoot some idea at me whenever =)

shanuea's picture
shanuea
781 pencils

Do you want to post up our campaign Gr8 /C-W ? I think you have all the files?

shanuea's picture
shanuea
781 pencils

Gr8 where are you??

My buddy seems to be MIA.

shanuea's picture
shanuea
781 pencils

Posted. Let me know if you have any updates on this Gr8 and I ill update it (or just throw them in the comments)

shanuea's picture
shanuea
781 pencils

Anyone keen for a SAW #2 ?

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8395 pencils

The first one having been a tremendous success =)

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1383 pencils

I agree with Shawali. SAW was good but SAW2 was kinda dumpy. I watched SAW4 the other night and it was total horse shit. Stay away.

AdillyWay's picture
AdillyWay
106 pencils

Hey this is interesting and fun! Any plans of creating more spec ad workshops?

Shawali's picture
Shawali
8395 pencils

Why not. Problem is that only one guy maybe two actually do something each time we have one of those.

But we could try to give it another go. =)

OUTSTANDAGE's picture
OUTSTANDAGE
81 pencils

i'm defiantly interested in getting involved in these

sah dah tay my dammy. (The best copywriter ever whose name is Pootie Tang)