art direction major, coming out of college, I need feed back!

Hi,

I am looking for an entry position in a fun creative agency.
I felt really strong of my portfolio, however after applying massively,
I get responses but no really awesome offers. Now I am wondering
if my work is that worth it, or should I just go back to school and do
better ad.

here is my portfolio : www.nilsphilipon.com

please tell me what you guys think

9 comments

jazzper's picture
jazzper
145 pencils

I think there are some really good ideas. I personally like volvo ad for less impact with elk.

Nilz's picture
Nilz
25 pencils

Thanks, please let me know what could be improved, or some advice to get an entry level job!

certaintly's picture
certaintly
4052 pencils

the only one i liked was the twinkies one.

many i simply didnt understand. like the post-it ones, the volvo one, the stride one, or the magic eraser.

you have nice art direction, id maybe look for a copywriter who can speak english well. because the english in most of your ads is wrong

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1391 pencils

I thought the Twinkies one only had one good ad, and that was the unicorn. It seems like the others were really forced as you tried to campaign the idea, and it IS campaignable, but those aren't the right ones to use. BTW, while the Twinkies ad works, a creative director might not be too thrilled because it's not that hard to sell a product that's already fun. I thought Volvo was a better example of something that could actually work. I think the insight behind the Magic Eraser one is great, as is the tagline, but you can't get away with using dictators. And likening stains on your countertop to murderers and oppressors is going a bit too far with hyperbole. Change the visual, keep the tone light, and you're good. The rest of them could probably use a little work, but the art is pretty good all-around.

certaintly's picture
certaintly
4052 pencils

i agree. i liked the unicorn one so much it sold me on the other 2.
however, although not as strong, i think the other 2 still work

jteslik's picture
jteslik
1391 pencils

A unicorn in a Lambo is way more creative than a roller coaster in an afro. I don't even know what that's supposed to be. I don't think the concept is really getting across either, because it's sort of half on the outside of the 'fro anyway.The water bed one: there's nothing terribly cool about a NASA space capsule. You could think of a million different things to put in there, and many that are way, way cooler. Idea just needs to be played around with; don't comp them up until you brainstorm some really great ones.

Nilz's picture
Nilz
25 pencils

Thanks, great feed back guys

freewso's picture
freewso
4 pencils

I think there are some really good ideas

madisrodri21's picture
madisrodri21
6 pencils

I thought this is a job opening.