What are the best advertising certificates or diplomas I could get instead of a masters degree in advertising?

Dear forum,

I currently finished my undergrad studies and I am looking to start my career in the advertising industry. What are the best certificates or diplomas I could get in order to jump start my career in advertising.

I am not looking to do a masters degree for now. Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys
J. Kimble

8 comments

sylvia_collins's picture
sylvia_collins
10 pencils

What part of advertising are you looking to get into? The account side or the creative side?

John Kimble's picture
John Kimble
9 pencils

Hey Sylvia,
Thanks for your reply, I'm looking to get into the creative side of advertising.
I would greatly appreciate it if your could assist me by telling me what diplomas or degree can help me

sylvia_collins's picture
sylvia_collins
10 pencils

As far as degrees, typically you see advertisers have degrees in advertising, mass communication, public relations, corporate communication, or art if you're looking to get into art direction. What did you do your undergrad in and where? If you're after a certificate, take a look at Northwestern University's post-baccalurate certificate in creative advertising. It's probably the most relevant one for you out there.

http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/pdp/cpdp/business/administration/adver...

John Kimble's picture
John Kimble
9 pencils

I do understand that advertisers usually have degrees in advertising, PR or mass comm. I currently hold a bachelors degree in international marketing, graduated from Alexandria Egypt at AAST. I would love to pursue a masters degree in advertising but I feel that I do not have the necessary qualifications or work experience to meet the masters program requirements. If there's any other degree or one year masters programs regarding advertising that you believe I should take a look at it would be greatly appreciated.

sylvia_collins's picture
sylvia_collins
10 pencils

Their aren't many masters programs for the creative side of advertising, and the few that do exist, while exceptional programs take a bit longer than a year. But, agencies value portfolios over masters degree 100%. Take a look at portfolio schools. Creative Circus, Portfolio Center, Chicago Portfolio School, and BrainCo. I have a feeling you'll really like BrainCo. What did you think of the Northwestern certificate program?

John Kimble's picture
John Kimble
9 pencils

I quite liked the northwestern program. But I fell in love with the portfolio schools, I am definitely applying to all of them next year! Thanks a lot for your help. Never asked you what do you do? DO you work in the industry?

If you have any more tips that would be awesome! Thanks a bunch!

sibz's picture
sibz
2 pencils

I think you should join mass communication degree course. I think if you do your further studies in mass communication then you will find a bright career for youself.Good Luck

Regards,
SibzSolutions.com

mattndan's picture
mattndan
953 pencils

I think you should make a book, fly to London and go round agencies with your book. For the cost of a masters you could easily live in London for a year and you'll get better using trial and error / book crits much faster.

Masters count for nothing, effort, legwork and creative thinking are much more important.