Is everything a remix?

Hey guys, I'm quit enjoying A.o.t.W its great seeing all this awesome campaigns. The only thing I have quit my problems with, is that there seem to be few people, who spoil everything by four simple letters DONE, its a lable some use quit often. Don't get me wrong I think it is very important to do original and new fresh stuff, but sometimes the DONE Dilema gets kind of strange to me, " Oh so done I have seen that in some book in 1852" ;) What do you think about this topic? When is an idea done and when hase there obviously some inspiration? Is it the task of creatives to know most of the stuff that has been done, to avoid repeating it?
To bring a little more media in the discussion here is an awesome video that deals with this issue:

http://vimeo.com/25380454

Have fun guys, hope there will be some discussion.

PS: First one who find this the same topic in the forum ( Havent watched ) and copy past it in the comment with a big bold DONE, will win a " Are you fucking kidding me" meme via mail!

Sincerely, Kevin(kevvander)Fitz

5 comments

Jaap Grolleman's picture
Jaap Grolleman
7004 pencils

I haven't seen that documentary but it's probably just one of those biased ones that only show one side of the coin. Think for yourself. Is everything a remix? It's subjective. The meaning of the word remix isn't fixed.

Kevin Fitz's picture
Kevin Fitz
39 pencils

Of course I can think for myself I just wanted to start a discussion. The meaning of remix is definetly fixed! It says take something existing and change it or combine two existing things to create a new one. Why dind't you watch it before you are commenting?, dont get it.

Hadrons's picture
Hadrons
5743 pencils

@ Kevin:

Saw all 4 - gave your links to my friends over the net. you did a great job editing - and I like to hear what you have to say.

here is something for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWhO4cwriL0

THERE'S NO HEAVIER BURDEN THAN A GREAT POTENTIAL

Kevin Fitz's picture
Kevin Fitz
39 pencils

hi hondras, just to point that out i didn*t edit anything in this awesome video all the credits belong to Kirby Ferguson, sorry if i missed to point that out, but it was in no way my intention to bath in the sunshine of others ;) thanks for the link anyway, i quit enjoyed it :)

vlwk's picture
vlwk
154 pencils

To answer, I'll quote a verse from the Bible.

Ecclesiastes 1:9 (NIV) What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.

Still, it's not an excuse for not trying.

Post new comment

Thank you for commenting. Please do not spam, be elaborate, respectful and helpful.