How Agencies Fool Themselves

This might ring a few bells...

www.drownthatpuppy.com

4 comments

Jaap Grolleman's picture
Jaap Grolleman
6996 pencils

Good read :) as Howard Roark (architect) once said:
"I don't intend to build in order to have clients; I intend to have clients in order to build."

I think it's interesting how agencies often know what's best for clients (or not) but don't know this for themselves. In Cannes I saw all these prints with explanation on the side saying "World's first parking ticket ad" and "World's bigger t-shirt ad" etc. All ideas, no matter how small, where build up around Problem, Idea, Solution, Results, or something like that. Sometimes not even relevant. For our clients we wouldn't make such crap but when presenting ourselves we tend to forget all of that it seems.

Anyway, I'm drifting off ;p ciao.

mosswriter's picture
mosswriter
61 pencils

Thanks, always liked the Fountainhead definitely a book for creatives. The movie's not bad either.. Quite infuriating how bad agencies are at promoting themselves.
Granted, it's not easy because you lose the detachment you have with a regular brief, but even so really good agency promos are pretty scarce. Cheers,

bakamono's picture
bakamono
1004 pencils

I read that article, I also came across the Toronto article. I have to agree I was so sick and tired of hearing how awesome Toronto is and how it is # 1 this and # 4 this. Even today they had an article up on msn.ca telling everyone that Toronto is once again #1 compared to other Canadian cities. What a pile of dog shit. So far the things you have mentioned are right on. With horrid employment rate, high taxes nonexistent and overpriced public transpiration. Expensive everything and lacks almost everything city.

But hey for most Torontonians who don't know better this is probably the best place to live.

Sorry off topic ;)

because therefore it is

mosswriter's picture
mosswriter
61 pencils

No worries, off topic or not, it’s always good to get a comment.

I half agree with you because I like Toronto, I can think of a lot worse places to live, and yeah quite a few better ones too, but I don't like when Torontonians get smug about the place, looks like you don't either..